Matt Burch hit 3-5 and smacked a two-run home run in the top of the fifth inning to help Peninsula win 11-9 in extra innings over Wilson.
The Pilots struck first thanks to Tommy Bell scoring on a throwing error in the first inning, but the Tobs stormed back. Singles from Gunner Peterson, Coleman Sawyer and Dusty Baker batted in five runs in the fourth inning to give Wilson a 5-1 lead.
Though Peninsula was down, they weren’t out. They made the most of their opportunities throughout the extra inning game, starting in the fifth.
Though Peninsula only recorded nine hits, the Tobs helped them out with four walks and seven errors, including one error from Chris Meyers at first that scored Erik Stock to tie the game in the top of the sixth.
It was all tied up at 5 apiece before Kyle Battle sent a shot to right-center field in the top of the seventh, scoring two Pilots to give Peninsula a 7-5 lead.
From there, the game got even crazier.
Hunter Hart extended Peninsula’s lead in the eighth after scoring on a fielding error by Tyler Jones at third, but Wilson responded. Logan Eickhoff doubled to left-center in the bottom of the eighth with two outs and the bases loaded that scored three Tobs to tie the game at eight.
The two sides traded runs in the ninth, beginning with Trey Morgan hitting in Luke Zimmerman in the top of the inning. Dusty Baker followed that up with the third home run of the game, hitting it to center field.
Peninsula stole the show in extra innings, though.
With two Pilots starting on first and second due to the International Tie Breaker rule, Gephry Pena laid down a punt to advance the runneres but made it safely to first on a fielder’s choice. Devin Smith, Wilson’s pitcher, overthrew Meyers at first, sending Snedeker and Morgan home for the 11-9 lead in the top of the tenth inning.
Jack Dragum closed out the game for Peninsula, earning a save after not giving up a run in the tenth, while Austin Peterson earned the win for the Pilots after throwing three strikeouts in the ninth inning. Gus Carter (3.1 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 3 K), Jacob Pilarski (3.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 7 K), Marcus Olivarez (0.2 IP, 0 ER) and Alex Hinton (1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 2 K) also made appearances on the mound for Peninsula.
- The win improves Peninsula’s record to 13-8 overall, 7-8 in the Coastal Plain Mid Atlantic Pod.
- The Pilots got the 2-1 series win against the Tobs after a win at Fleming Stadium on Saturday evening.
- Peninsula has now hit nine home runs in the last five games and hold a 4-0 record when hitting two home runs over that stretch (loss with one HR was 7/26 vs Wilson)
- The Pilots now have a 6-1 record over their last seven games, their best streak of the season. Their previous best record through seven games was 5-2.
- The meeting was the tenth between the Pilots and Tobs this season – Wilson won the season series by a slim 6-4 margin